Master in Urban Planning
Confered Degree | Duration | ECTS
Master | 4 Semesters | 120 ECTS
Prof.ª Doutora Filipa Antunes
The following may apply for the Master’s Degree:
- People who hold a B.A. or equivalent degree
- People who hold a foreign academic degree awarded after a 1st study cycle organized according to the Bologna Process by a member state of that process
- People who hold a foreign academic degree acknowledged as a degree satisfying the objectives of the graduate degree by the due body
- People who have a school, scientific or professional curriculum acknowledged by the due body of ULHT certifying the capacity to obtain this study cycle.
Have completed a total of 120 ECTS
The Master’s Program in urban planning aims at creating a set of specialists in the scientific area of Urban planning that are prepared to aid in the coordination of teams that elaborate Planning and territorial management instruments or teams that manage them.
The degree equally prepares for the entry in a scientific career in the area of urban planning.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
- Deepening of competences obtained during the first cycle of studies in the light of a bigger and more elaborate analysis capacity and knowledge integration
- Specific capacity to indentify, analyse and propose solutions for complex problems of Urban planning and Territorial Planning, dealing in particular with urban and territorial morphology in the most adequate scales and the issues related with urban management in the light of sustainability principles
- Capacity to translate into plans, projects and reports the most adequate solutions for urban development problems, by giving them adequate training so they can be understood by technicians, political and business decision makers and general citizens
- Capacity to build a knowledge consistent with urban and territorial realities in which he acts towards its management, in the scope of the references for urban quality and European policies for territory and Urban planning
- Capacity to translate into plans, projects and reports, the most adequate solutions for urban management problems, by giving them adequate training so they can be understood by technicians, political and business decision makers and general citizens
- Capacity to use modern technological resources adequate to the diagnosis and search of solutions and its representation towards the integration with complementary scientific areas and their own technological resources
- Capacity to work in a multidisciplinary team managing own partnerships at each situation while respecting the ethics and deontology of the profession
- Creation of learning habits throughout life, whether in a self-oriented and autonomous or an academic manner
- Capacity to design, organise, manage and develop scientific research projects, either autonomously or integrated in multidisciplinary teams
Specialisation and post-graduation programs, including 3rd cycle programs referring to PhD studies.
In public administration, the main employers of urban planners are city halls, regional coordination committees and general directories of the ministries involved in territorial organisation where there are teams that elaborate studies and plans of municipal, regional or national urbanisation (depending on the employer), issue technical expertise on the plans that are submitted for approval and manage urban space.
In the private sector we highlight the urban planning offices where there are teams that elaborate urban projects that are consultants to city halls in the elaboration of studies and plans, issue technical expertise relative to area structure, real-estate promotion activities or urban development activities.
There are also the urban planners that choose to work as freelancers.
For the research career, it is necessary to proceed with studies at the level of the third cycle (Doctorate), permitting to access academic and research career, where they broaden training in this area and aid in the definition of criteria for the practice of urban planning.
Architecture and Urban Planning
|Composing and Designing Urban Space||Yearly||8|
|Ecology and Urban Landscape||Yearly||5|
|Infrastructure and Equipment Planning||Yearly||5|
|Mobility and Transport Planning||Yearly||5|
|Planning and Urban Management Instruments||Yearly||5|
|Research Methodologies in Urban Planning||Yearly||5|
|Urban Development in a Rural Environment||Yearly||5|
|Urban planning Issues in Depth||Yearly||8|
|Scientific Dissertation and In-depth Urban Project||Yearly||55|
|Research Seminar in Urban Planning||First Semester||5|
Teachers, Academic Degree and Dedication time
|Lecturer||Academic Degrees||Dedication time|
|Carlos Alberto Smaniotto Da Costa||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|Catarina Isabel Santos Patrício Leitão||Doctorate||Part-Time|
|Fernando Manuel Monteiro Figueira||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|Filipa Alexandra Gomes Da Silva Oliveira Antunes||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|Inês Maria Andrade Marques||Doctorate||Part-Time|
|Isabel Maria Da Silva Marcos||Doctorate||Part-Time|
|Joana Fazenda Mendes Mourão||Doctorate||Part-Time|
|José Diogo Da Silva Mateus||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|Manuel Serafim Fontes Santos Pinto||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|Mário Caneva De Magalhães Moutinho||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|Rui Filipe Arango Florentino||Doctorate||Part-Time|
|Sofia Margarida Fernandes Franco||Doctorate||Full-Time|