Isabel Barbas (1974) develops a multifaceted work in drawing and painting, art installation, design and architecture. She has a graduate degree in Architecture by FA-UTL – Faculty of Architecture, Technical University of Lisbon, and she has a Master’s degree in Drawing by FBA-UL – Faculty of Fine-Arts of the University of Lisbon. She is a PhD student in Architecture at ULHT – Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias.
She founded Brut Deluxe studio in Madrid, Spain, in 2004, where she developed many works in urban installation, architecture, and product design, as well as many visual arts projects.
In 2008 she founded the MAGstudio in Lisbon, where she works and investigates within the constant influx of the varied artistic strategies
Her work has been acclaimed and awarded at several contests, and has been presented in several conferences and exhibitions as well in several Portuguese and international publications.
She was an editor for Portuguese Jornal dos Arquitectos – JA, between 2012 and 2014.
She has been lecturing at DAU – Department of Architecture and Urban Planning at ULHT since 2010.
Her works for public spaces feature, among others:
– Complete refurbishment of Plaza de La Luna (Plaza Torres Acosta), Madrid, 2007- 08.
– 1st Prize Outrosmercadus`08; HM RIBA`08, London.Street – Market kiosk M.Poli, Madrid.
– 1st Prize Iluminar Madrid en Navidad: Christmas Lighting Installations for Gran Via, Recoletos and other locations in Madrid, 2006-09.
– DOTS Lighting Installations and Portada installation for Feria de Agosto, Málaga, 2006.
– Kinetic Installation for EDP Headquarters building, Marquês do Pombal Plaza, Lisbon, 2007/08.
– X Lighting Installation for Lx Factory, Lisbon, 2009
– EcoFlatTree, Christmas Installation for Rossio Square, Portalegre, 2012
– Nove baloiços/Nove palavras Ephemeral Installation, Aliados Square, Porto, 2013.
– 1st Prize Desfrutar o Tejo Contest – Mobiliário Urbano para o Cais do Sodré, sponsored by University of Aveiro, MUDE Museum, and A,,.
– Texturas Sonoras, Ephemeral light and sound Installation, Aliados Square, Porto, 2014.