Integrated Master in Architecture
Confered Degree | Duration | ECTS
Bachelor; Master | 10 Semesters | 300 ECTS
Professor Doutor Pedro Ressano Garcia
Professora Doutora Filipa Antunes
Professor Doutor António de Santa-Rita
National access competition/tender:
Having completed the 12th grade;
A grade higher than 95 points (range 0-200), in the following entrance exams:
- 03- Design
- 10- Descriptive Geometry
- 18- Portuguese
- Course changes
In accordance with Decree 401/2007, of April 5.
Special competition/tender for those over the age of 23
On completing 23 years of age by the 31st of December of the preceding year.
Those not entitled access to higher education (if they have undertaken and been approved in the entrance test for the college they want to enter, they are entitled to the referred access).
Special competition/tender for higher education graduates and Diplomas in Specialized Technology:
(In accordance with Decree-Law No. 393-B/99, of 2 October;
In accordance with Ordinance No. 854-A/99, of 4 October;
In accordance with Decree-Law No. 88/2006, of May 23).
Have completed a total of 300 ECTS
The Master in Architecture, aims the Architect formation serving the 11 points of the Directive 2005/36/EC.
Thus, students trained in Architecture must complete the course with the ability to create architectural designs that satisfy both aesthetic (by influence of fine arts knowledge in the architectural design process), human (knowledge of the humanities, like history, anthropology , sociology, ergonomics, space perception, etc.) and techniques (knowledge of the processes of urban planning, structural systems, building systems, costs and regulations, systems and digital geometric representation, preparation of technical documents, etc.).
Simultaneously the student should understand their role and ethical conduct in society, demonstrate research ability, as well as showing knowledge of theoretical and historical characteristics of their discipline.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
The studies plan has three curricular units directly assigned to the development of research work, namely: Research Methods in Project / Scientific Research Methods (6 ECTS); Laboratorial Studies Project / Theoretical Studies in Architecture (6 ECTS); Dissertation (15 ECTS).
These curricular units develop along the 2nd cycle (4th and 5th years).
During this course of research, students are invited to be part of MIARQ official research body, at ULHT, the Architecture Laboratory(LABART), being integrated in research projects in accordance with their mentors.
In addition to these curricular units, all students are sent (invited by their mentors) to be integrated in research projects that teachers develop at Architecture R&D research center – Architecture Laboratory LABART.
The sum of the non optional curricular units is of 294 ECTS, and the student must attain more 6 credits in optional curricular units to make the 300 ECTS necessary to obtain the Master Degree.
The free optional 6 ECTS are chosen between the curricular units of the other courses of the Faculty of Architecture, Urbanism, Geography and Arts of the University Lusófona of Humanities and Technology, according with the scientific areas expressed in the Anexe I.
The correspondence between the scientific areas of the course of Architecture and the other courses of the Faculty are, as follows:
- The numbers 422 and 443 of the CNAEF, corresponding to Environmental Sciences and Earth Sciences, are included in the course of Architecture scientific area, of Urbanism, Environment and Society (UES) and are present in the Course of Geography and Development.
- The number 581, that correspond in CNAEF to the educational formation in Architecture and Urbanism, is included in the two scientific areas of Architectural Project (ARCH) and Urbanism, Environment and Society (UES) that also present in some curricular units of the Course of Urbanism and Territorial Planning that also belongs to the Faculty.
- All these references can be overcame by the attendance of National, European or International Workshops, that have recognized credits (ECTS) and are in the scientific area of Architecture and Urbanism (nº 581 of CNAEF).
- Also in certain situations, lack of curricular content (by changing¿s in the curricula or because the students present flaws on the secondary education), those options may be substituted by courses specifically opened for that purpose, provided that they are defined according to the relationship ECTS / hours of course work and its contents are within the scientific areas of the course.
- 27 credits are 22,5% of the 120 credits of the 2nd cycle of integrated studies and are exclusively dedicated to research for the Final Thesis and belong to curricular units like Project Research and Scientific Methods (6), Project laboratory Studies and Architectural Theory Studies (6) and Project Thesis, Theory Dissertation or Professional Report (15).
- 25% of the total credits of the last year belong to the Project Thesis, Theory Dissertation or Professional Report.
- The third option considered in paragraph 1 of Article 20 Dec-Law 74/2006 of 24 March, the Training Report, is not available by appointment of the Board of Architects (accrediting body to the European Community).
Arquitectura e urbanismo | Arquitectura e construção | Engenharia, indústrias transformadoras e construção
|Architectural Design I||First Semester||6|
|Constructive Systems I||First Semester||3|
|Elements of Architecture I||First Semester||10|
|Geometry Applied to Architecture I||First Semester||5|
|Introduction to Digital Processes||First Semester||3|
|Introduction to Visual Culture||First Semester||3|
|Architectural Design II||Second Semester||6|
|Constructive Systems II||Second Semester||3|
|Digital Processes I||Second Semester||3|
|Elements of Architecture II||Second Semester||10|
|Geometry Applied to Architecture II||Second Semester||5|
|Introduction to Architectural Theory and History I||Second Semester||3|
|Architectural Design III||First Semester||6|
|Architecture Project I||First Semester||10|
|Constructive Systems III||First Semester||3|
|Digital Processes II||First Semester||4|
|Introduction to Architectural Theory and History II||First Semester||3|
|Structural Systems I||First Semester||4|
|Architecture Project II||Second Semester||10|
|Constructive Systems IV||Second Semester||3|
|Digital Processes III||Second Semester||4|
|Foundation of Landscape Architecture||Second Semester||3|
|Geography, Environment and Territory||Second Semester||3|
|History of Architecture and the Arts I||Second Semester||4|
|Structural Systems II||Second Semester||3|
|Architecture Project III||First Semester||10|
|Constructive Systems V||First Semester||3|
|Digital Processes IV||First Semester||4|
|History of Architecture and the Arts II||First Semester||3|
|Space Anthropology I||First Semester||3|
|Structural Systems III||First Semester||3|
|Urban Design I||First Semester||4|
|Architecture Project IV||Second Semester||10|
|Constructive Systems VI||Second Semester||3|
|History of Architecture and the Arts III||Second Semester||4|
|Sistemas Estruturais IV||Second Semester||3|
|Space Anthropology II||Second Semester||3|
|Urban Design II||Second Semester||4|
|Urban Law and Construction Regulations||Second Semester||3|
|Architecture I||First Semester||12|
|Bioclimatic Architecture||First Semester||3|
|History of Portuguese Architecture I||First Semester||4|
|Rehabilitation and Conservation of Buildings||First Semester||3|
|Theory of Architecture I||First Semester||4|
|Urban and Territorial Planning||First Semester||4|
|Architecture II||Second Semester||12|
|History of Portuguese Architecture II||Second Semester||4|
|Option I||Second Semester||3|
|Research Methods||Second Semester||4|
|Theory of Architecture II||Second Semester||4|
|Urban Ecology and Sustainability||Second Semester||3|
|Architecture III||First Semester||12|
|Option II||First Semester||3|
|Option III||First Semester||3|
|Research Laboratory / Seminars||First Semester||5|
|Theories of Space I||First Semester||4|
|Urban Sociology||First Semester||3|
|Architecture Dissertation||Second Semester||15|
|Architecture IV||Second Semester||12|
|Theories of Space II||Second Semester||3|
Teachers, Academic Degree and Dedication time