Bachelor in Urban Planning and Land Management
Confered Degree | Duration | ECTS
Bachelor | 6 Semesters | 180 ECTS
Prof.ª Doutora Filipa Antunes
National access competition/tender:
Having completed the 12th grade
A grade higher than 95 points (range 0-200), in the following entrance exams:
- 03- Design
- 10- Descriptive Geometry
- 18- Portuguese
- Course changes
In accordance with Decree 401/2007, of April 5.
Special competition/tender for those over the age of 23
On completing 23 years of age by the 31st of December of the preceding year
Those not entitled access to higher education (if they have undertaken and been approved in the entrance test for the college they want to enter, they are entitled to the referred access).
Special competition/tender for higher education graduates and Diplomas in Specialized Technology:
(In accordance with Decree-Law No. 393-B/99, of 2 October;
In accordance with Ordinance No. 854-A/99, of 4 October;
In accordance with Decree-Law No. 88/2006, of May 23).
Have completed a total of 180 ECTS
The TOWN PLANNER ¿Coordinates and collaborates and assists in conducting studies and plans aimed at spatial planning and the planning of physical, spatial, environmental, urban and rural areas:
Defines and implements, integrating interdisciplinary teams, plans related to phenomena of urbanization and development in their multiple facets, namely residential, industrial, commercial, rural and infrastructures; identifies situations, formulates diagnosis, and puts forward solutions for the organization of space; studies and proposes possible solutions or models designed to obtain a functional and aesthetic integration in each area of the established territories; coordinates the groundwork of urban plans and additional studies and supervises the implementation and negotiation processes, disclosure and public participation of the same.
The town planner can coordinate the planning and spatial use of areas outside of the urban areas, namely agro-forestry, tourism, industrial zones and parks and reserves.
“(National Institute of Statistics Reference: 220.127.116.11.10, Title: Town Planner) (Instituto Nacional de Estatisticas Referência: 18.104.22.168.10, Designação: Urbanista)
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
The main objective of the licentiate degree in Urban Development and Spatial Planning is to provide initial and specific training in this area with a view to the professional practice as a Town Planner, as well as endow the students with a set of abilities that will allow for life-long leaning and their integration in the interdisciplinary framework of the town planning.
It also aims to create the necessary conditions so the students may further their studies in the 2nd and 3rd cycles.
In defining the specific objectives various particularly significant national and international documents that characterize the training necessary for professional practice were taken into account, such as:
- The characterization of the town planning profession adopted by the National Institute of Statistics (Instituto Nacional de Estatística),
- The characterization of the town planning profession prepared by the Directorate General of Employment and Vocational Training (Direcção-Geral do Emprego e Formação Profissional).
- The National Classification of the Educational and Training areas Statistical CNAEF Order no. 256/2005 of the 16th of March, by the Ministry of Economy and Labour (Ministério das Actividades Económicas e do Trabalho).
- Major in Urban Development and Spatial Planning and a Minor in another scientific area.
- The 1st cycle diploma of Studies in Urban Development and Spatial Planning aims to endow the students with the specific competencies that will enable them be successful professionals who carry out the tasks that correspond to the chosen vocational area.
Thus, the 1st cycle in Urban Development and Spatial Planning aims to endow the future professionals with the following skills:
- Identify the present and future requirements of urban city and rural areas and understand the urban context within the frame of Urban theory and the specific historical framework, Propose, in the form of policies
- Spatial development plans and urban plans and projects, the necessary actions to initiate, organize and promote change, and Urban quality
- Include, in Urban practice, the results of evaluations and studies of situations and prospective conditions, taking into account the differing circumstances of environmental and geographic spaces in accordance with the different spatial scales
- Handle the resources of modern technology, particularly those that are geared toward the practice of urban development, with care;
- Assimilate and engage in their professional or theoretical practice the contributions made toward Urban development by the subjects of this field and related areas.
- Monitor the implementation of works of urban development and Spatial planning
The licentiate degree will permit students to apply for postgraduate studies, specifically PhD degrees.
The vocational opportunities we aim to counter in terms of knowledge and skills correspond to the professional structure of public and private institutions operating within the framework of urban and spatial planning, in particular general and regional Directorates, Local authorities, Municipal Associations and Private Offices that render services in the field of planning and land use planning.
Training will enable the future professionals to carry out tasks in the specific context of Urban and spatial Planning, as well as work as a consultant in the specific area of planning and land use planning in multidisciplinary teams of related areas.
Arquitectura e urbanismo
|Computer-aided Urban Design Desenho Urbanístico Assistido por Computador||First Semester||4|
|History of Territory and the City||First Semester||5|
|Introduction to Contemporary Thought||First Semester||4|
|Modellation and Drawing Workshop||First Semester||5|
|Rural and Urban Sociology||First Semester||4|
|Urban Regional Analysis||First Semester||4|
|Fundamentals of Urban Ecology and Sustainability||Second Semester||4|
|Graphic Representation Techniques for Urbanism||Second Semester||4|
|Physical Aspects of Territory||Second Semester||4|
|Population Studies and Urbanism||Second Semester||4|
|Regional and Urban Economics||Second Semester||4|
|Topography and cartography||Second Semester||4|
|Urbanism Laboratory I||Second Semester||6|
|Geographic Information Systems and Urbanism I||First Semester||4|
|Law for Urban Planning||First Semester||4|
|Option 2||First Semester||4|
|Sanitation Infrastructures and Urbanism||First Semester||4|
|Theory of Urbanism||First Semester||4|
|Urbanism Laboratory II||First Semester||6|
|Elements of Landscape and Urbanism||Second Semester||4|
|Energy and Communication Infrastructures and Urbanism||Second Semester||4|
|Geographic Information Systems and Urbanism II||Second Semester||4|
|Option 3||Second Semester||4|
|Territorial Planning||Second Semester||4|
|Transportation Infrastructures and Urbanism||Second Semester||4|
|Urban Planning Management||Second Semester||4|
|Urbanism Laboratory III||Second Semester||6|
|Assessment and Monitoring in Urbanism||First Semester||4|
|Citizenship and Public Participation in Urbanism||First Semester||4|
|Laboratory of Urban Rehabilitation||First Semester||6|
|Urban Development in a Rural Environment||First Semester||4|
|Urbanism and Administration||First Semester||4|
|Urbanism and Heritage||First Semester||4|
|Applied Urbanism Laboratory||Second Semester||10|
|Contemporary Territory Issues||Second Semester||4|
|Plan Management||Second Semester||4|
|Public Territorial Policies||Second Semester||4|
|Strategic Planning||Second Semester||4|
|Transport Planning||Second Semester||4|
|Urbanism Applied Seminar||Second Semester||4|
Teachers, Academic Degree and Dedication time
|Lecturer||Academic Degrees||Dedication time|
|Fernando Manuel Monteiro Figueira||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|Filipa Alexandra Gomes Da Silva Oliveira Antunes||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|José António De Oliveira||Master||Full-Time|
|José Diogo Da Silva Mateus||Doctorate||Full-Time|
|José Manuel Gil Estevez||Doctorate||Part-Time|
|Luís Filipe Martins Gomes||Bachelor||Part-Time|
|Maria Teresa Craveiro Pereira||Master||Part-Time|
|Rogério Manuel Loureiro Gomes||Doctorate||Part-Time|
|Rui Filipe Arango Florentino||Doctorate||Part-Time|